Monday, February 27, 2017

One Monthly Goal

Well, I made my One Monthly Goal for February and had fun doing it.  My goal was to make a quilt top for my local Quilts of Valor group.  I hope to get three tops made by the end of this year.  Here are the pictures of my process for making the quilt which will be handed over to our QoV leader on Thursday.

In my February 2nd post I had included three blocks I was considering for the QoV quilt top.  I chose and got permission from Le Ann at Persimmon Quilts to use her Courage block pattern.  A big thanks to Le Ann as I love this block. The next step was to gather up all my red and blue scraps along with fabric obtained from our Quilts of Valor group.  My top is a scrappy one, with the exception of the off white fabric and the red fabric used in the corner HSTs on each block. 

February 4th was the Quilts of Valor sew day and I spent the day cutting fabric for my courage top.

 

I made one block to see if I could do it and what it would look like as a scrappy block.  I definitely loved it.
 
 
 
Next I spent a lot of time marking all those squares to be made into lots and lots of half square triangles.  It took a long time too.
 
 
During the month of February, I was overwhelmed with our local quilt guild's quilt show as I was the intake coordinator.  Did I tell you it was my first year doing this and there was a lot to do.  I did, however, get all the blocks made and sewn together and then the rows sewn together.
 
 
I had enough blue and white fabric for the borders, but not red.  We went down to Las Vegas on the 22nd so I could attend the Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild meeting that night.  We stayed over with my stepson and his lovely wife, Jennifer, until Friday morning so Thursday I was at JoAnn's getting red fabric among some other fabric and needed notions (my daughter, Jennifer, had given me a gift card for my birthday).  Friday I got the borders cut and started sewing them on and finished up on Saturday.  It has been too windy to get any nice pictures of the finished top so here is a picture taken in our home (38' 5th wheel RV).
 
 
This is my second post for today, so be sure to check out my earlier post HERE as it will fill you in on all the quilty things I accomplished during this crazy, busy February.
 
 
Happy stitching
 




22 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty. I'm really enjoying the OMG as it is helping me get things done. :)

      Delete
  2. Great QOV, lots of room for fun quilting, great pattern. A generous goal to make 3 qov this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Kat. It was a lot of fun to piece, but I won't get to quilt it as they go to a longarmer to quilt. Be sure to check back and see the quilting I do on my Meadow Mystery quilt which is my goal for March.

      Delete
  3. Wow--it's stunning! Some QOV recipient is going to be very lucky to own such a striking and wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. The vets that receive quilts really love them and are moved to tears most of the time. They are fun to make and they go to vets in our county. Last count we had about 9,000 and last year (our first year) we made 100. Lots more to make. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous. Congrats on completing the OMG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Preeti for stopping by and taking the time to comment. As you know comments are greatly appreciated as are the quilts that are given to our veterans.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful OMG finish! The block is nice but when put in a quilt oohlala!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki and thanks for your great comment. It is so nice to hear what others think of our work.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your kind comment and for visiting my blog. I hope you'll stop by again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this one, that block is a keeper! Kudos to getting this one done, even with your busy month with the quilt show responsibilities! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, it was fun to make and a learned how to get a scorch mark out of white fabric which my husband noticed when I had it up to iron. I must have scorched it when I was piecing it as I iron my seams open. GRRR! You just wet a piece of material with hydrogen peroxide and place it on the scorch and iron over it with a not so hot iron and keep repeating until the scorch is gone.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Jennifer, I had a lot of fun making it and planning my next one. I bought a cool little template for making all different size stars that I'm going to use to make some stars while I'm at my quilt retreat which starts Sunday. Can't wait. Hugs for you and Elvis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This QOV turned out stunning, Jennifer! That block is so dynamic, it almost vibrates in red, white and blue. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, glad you like it as much I as do. I know some veteran will be warm and loved when he/she receives it.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful!!! and good for you for committing to make 3 for QOV!! that is so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Alycia for stopping by and having time to comment. We all love to get comments. I really enjoy making the tops for QoV.

      Delete
  11. That is a great block. What a wonderful quilt fro QOV. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the block and love how it turned out with a secondary block to boot.

      Delete
  12. A very fun quilt. Love the repeat that forms with that block. Congrats on meeting your February goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, it was a fun top to put together even though I was rushed to get it finished to meet my February goal.

      Delete